Name of Course-
Diplomate of Gynaecology & Obstetrics
A Pass in M.B.B.S.
Course Duration –
25-B, C.I.T. Road, Entally, Kolkata � 700 014
Phone / Fax � (+91) 033 22495767
NARCHI is a Non � Governmental Organization registered under the West Bengal Societies Act, XXVI of 1961 and under section 12A & 80G of IT Act as a Charitable Trust.
We have over 4000 members in 50 branches throughout India, made up of mainly doctors and few other professionals.
NARCHI promotes Reproductive and Child Health (RCH) by
- Distribution of Dawn Rule of Ten Calendars, for ante-natal mothers and Adolescents.
- Promoting Family Planning and Sterilization Programmes
- Promoting Breast feeding by WHO norms and infant immunization
- Promoting Zero Maternal Death practices.
Dr. C. S. Dawn (1926-2004), a brilliant doctor and surgeon, was the founder of NARCHI. He was an educationist per excellence and a scholar extraordinary. He was President of FOGSI, BOGS. In his lifetime he was dedicated his heart and soul to uplift the well being of the pregnant women, mother and child care, family welfare and population control.
He had pioneered simple but revolutionary methods in Mother and Child Care, through which Mother and Child deaths during pregnancy was drastically reduced. His spreading of awareness through Calendar Technique was ideal in its simplicity in a country like India. However, Dr. Dawn was born in very simple and challenging circumstances, in a remote village of West Bengal, where medical facilities, were non-existent. It was thus his dream to train medical students in such manner, that they could serve effectively, where people needed them most.
NARCHI is a democratically and professionally run society with election of Office Bearers by regular elections through secret ballot.
Presently Dr. Subrataa Dawn is the Secretary General and Dr. Barun Sarkar is the Dean of the college
All decisions are taken by the Executive Committee by majority vote.
NARCHI runs the following nation wide programmes on Reproductive Child Health �
- Birth Control – NARCHI promotes spacing contraceptive development and its acceptance by people. NARCHI works with The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India, to improve implementation of National Family Welfare Programme.
- Infant Immunization – The goal is to stabilize Indian Population within the next two decades and improves its Reproductive, Sexual and Child Health.
- Contraception Care and Education – NARCHI promotes standardized practice of RCH, Infant Immunization, and Contraception Care among Medical Professionals, Nursing and Medical Students through DAWN Textbooks. . Additionally this is also done through organizing Continuing Medical Education (CME), seminar, conferences. This improves quality of services.
- AIDS Awareness Programmes – Adolescent Sex Education Programmes – NARCHI runs three DAWN Rule of Ten Calendar Education programme in Indian languages. These calendars are on Healthy lifestyle, Adolescent, Mass RCH. The Calendars are aimed educating the people to have 1-2 child family and quality life.
DAWN Rule of Ten (For Pregnant Woman � Baby Care)
- Ten Times Pregnancy Checkups for High Risk Pregnancy and minimum 5 Checkups for normal pregnancy by trained Health Personnel starting at 10th week. Pregnancy termination (MTP) by10th week for unplanned pregnancy. High Risk Pregnancy is referred to obstetric specialist.
- Ten kg. Mother�s weight gain during pregnancy by taking adequate Chapati , Rice, Dal, Vegetable , Fruits, Milk and boiled water (to prevent jaundice) to get 3kg . Baby. Husband becomes a partner of wife�s RCH care.
- Ten hours Rest and sleep (2 hours afternoon rest, 8 hours sleep at night) to grow the baby.
- Ten Gram percent Blood Haemoglobin is tested raised to 11 gm by taking one iron folic acid capsule like Autrin a day by mouth from 5th month of pregnancy and also during first 3 months of breast feeding. Other Lab. Tests done are blood ABO Rh group, post meal blood glucose, urine analysis.
- By Ten months, inj. Tetanus Vaccine – first dose on 18th week, Second dose 24th week of pregnancy. NON IMMUNIZED husband is also simultaneously given 2 doses of inj. Tec. Vac. with wife .Couple may die of AIDS by doing sex with other woman and man thus such sex is prohibited.
- Ten �Twelve Hours normal labour management in first pregnancy, 5-6 hours in second pregnancy on keeping DAWN partography chart by trained birth attendant in clean delivery room. High Risk labour cases are referred to obstetric specialist.
- Ten Apgar Score baby (crying baby) is delivered in warm room .High Risk baby is referred to Paediatrician.
- By Ten Weeks, Contraceptive to handover – Cu-device or oral pill or inj. depoprovera (by woman) or Condom (by husband) for 4 years delay in second child birth. On these spacing methods go for one � two child family. Tubectomy or vasectomy is done following second child birth.
- Ten Months breast feeding with solid food from 4th month to baby.
- By Ten months, Infant Immunization is completed- inj. BCG by 1st month. Oral polio on 2nd, 3rd, 4th month, along with inj. Triple antigen 3 doses (2nd, 3rd, 4th month) and inj. Measles on 10th month. Infant can have pulse polio within 5years.
DAWN Rule of Ten (For Adolescents)
- I will undergo yearly routine health checkup for Height, Weight and Blood Pressure. I take care of environmental sanitation and use Mosquito Curtain against Malaria.
- I will gain adequate Height and Weight by taking adequate quantity of rice, chapatti, dal, vegetable, milk and boiled water (to prevent Jaundice) to get standard height and weight for adult.
- Rather than watching television I will play during afternoons and sleep 8 hours every night.
- I will build eleven percent blood Haemoglobin minimum for which I take oral iron � folic acid (Autrin) Cap. a day for 4 months as a girl/ boy.
- I will take inj. Tetanus 2 doses at 6 weeks interval and third dose 6 months after the second. Thereafter inj. Tet. Toxoid every three years lifelong. Inj. and rubella vaccine also.
- I will not marry before 20 years as Girl and 25 years as Boy till I complete minimum 10 standard education.
- I will accept 1-2 Child Family when married as National Duty of an Indian Citizen, I remove discrimination between boy & girl.
- I practice contraception after marriage (Condom by husband), Oral pill, Copper device in the womb (by wife) before and after first child birth, and Vasectomy or Tubectomy after second child.
- I take it as a sin to do sex before marriage. I save myself from teenage pregnancy and AIDS as a girl, Syphilis and Gonorrhoea as boy/ girl.
- I practice Dr. C.S. Dawn Rule of Ten Mother & Child Health Care Calendar Education after marriage. By this education I as a woman cannot die in pregnancy & childbirth. Husband is also educated in this.
Dr. C.S. Dawn Indian College of Maternal & Child Health (ICMCH)
Dr. C.S. Dawn ICMCH is the academic wing of NARCHI. It has over 250 training centres throughout India and has imparted Post Graduate training to over 2000 MBBS Graduates in Obstetrics, Gynaecology, Pediatrics, and Ultra � Sonography. It has a midwifery training course also.
The training and evaluation is supervised by current and ex-professors of regular medical colleges, and is in much demand among MBBS Graduates. ICMCH trained MBBS graduates have also been absorbed in various government institutions.
Dr. C. S. Dawn ICMCH is affiliated to International Association for Maternal and Neonatal Health (IAMANEH), Geneva. IAMANEH is a global body for Reproductive Child Health.
IAMANEH is WHO’s collaborator in it�s Maternal and Reproductive programmes worldwide.
- M. B. B. S. Doctors (trainee) are selected for DFW / Dip. G. O. / Dip. C. H. course through an entrance examination with 50% minimum qualifying marks. There are around 200 seats for the course per year in 170 Obs / Gynae ICMCH affiliated training hospital centres in India. Study material for the course consists of standard; Literature as recommended by WHO detailed in current practice from a) Dawn Practical Pictorial Textbook of Obstetrics & Neonatology revised 16th Ed., 2004. b) Dawn Practical Pictorial Textbook of Gynaecology, Contraception, Demography 14th Ed., 2003. Both teacher and taught should read these Textbooks and practice.
- Trainee is resident, whole time assistant to ICMCH Senior Obs / Gyn clinician Professor Guide (1:1 ratio) for 2 years learning the Art of Clinical Practice in 170 quality training Obs / Gyn hospitals throughout India where trainee and teacher work. There are over 200 professors in Obs/ Gyn and 60 child health professors in ICMCH working at all training hospitals.
- Calendar Education: Trainee learns to educate and distribute 250 Dawn Rule of Ten wall calendars per year to (a) family members on lifestyle (b) school boy / girl adolescent on health & sex (c) pregnant women on standard RCH self care. This rule of Ten Calendar, is displayed at bedroom to educate husband and others. This calendars education is regularly done in rural camps by the trainee from all training centres.
- Diary Writing: Students maintains diary of their activities daily, during 2 years training in the hospital. They have to put a minimum of 600 days attendance & 50 photographs of their work.
- Bed Side Clinical Case notes: Trainee writes bed side 60 clinical case notes in 2 years in standard ICMCH proforma. This has to be submitted for evaluation during Annual examination.
- Trainee writes in his / her own handwriting 30 Obs / 30 Gyn answers in 2 years with pictorial diagrams (from Dawn Text Books 2003, questions given at last chapters of both text books), of different clinical problems.
These are checked by the Guides and trainees bring these well bound every year (15 Obs and 15 Gyn answers each year) to DFW or Dip. G. O. exam. This writing is aimed at training the trainee to be a good clinician and improves his/her English writing ability.
- Trainee learns clinical practice working as assistant to Guide at OPD, Ward rounds, Operation Theater, MTP Clinic etc. Trainee spends more than 6 hours daily with your Guide as assistant. This constitutes essential hands � on training.
- Trainee Self � learning Classes: These classes are taken round the clock every fortnight throughout the year. In a session a trainee presents bedside clinical cases in turn and discussion is made by other trainees and Guides. Other sessions are on Foetal Skull, Pelvis Dummy Foetus instruments, operative session, HSG / USG, surgical specimen DAWN Partography, Contraception etc.
- It is essential to submit a copy of the MTP Training Certificate in the first year from local MTP training centre before trainee appear in exams. No MTP training certificate is necessary if trainee did house officer�s job for 6 months or more at Medical College hospital in Obs /Gyn.
Examinations are held in Kolkata in the month of April � June every year. Here the students have to give Written Examinations and Oral Practical in front of Neutral External examiners. They have to carry their daily Log Book, checked and signed by Fellow Guide, completed written answers of 15 Obs and 15 Gyn questions, Operative notes on 10 Gynaecology and 5 Obstetric cases in the basis of which the marks are given.